• Profile picture of JoelElfman

JoelElfman

2 years ago

PSA – I have a Love/Hate Relationship w/ Entertainment Hypnosis
    – I once had a woman run away when I told her that I was a hypnotist. She ran shouting, “don’t look at me, don’t talk to me.”
    Books, Movies, Videos, and more have helped create the myth that a hypnotist can control someone’s mind in trance.
    These fictional beliefs and fears around what can be a very useful tool to help people create positive changes, make me want to run away screaming, just like that woman.
    – While, I admire entertainment & stage hypnotists for the brilliant and beautiful living examples, of peoples’ ability to step into different versions of themselves. I hate that too many of these hypnotists, use the illusion of control to enhance their act, instead of acknowledging these people’s choice- to be a part of the act & their ability to dramatically follow his/her outrageous suggestions.
    The entertaining hypnotist striving to maintain his narrative of power over people must always be watching, always be vigilant. Instead of celebrating the power of the unconscious to both imagine boldly and choose its boundaries. They deliberately stop using anyone who hesitates, holds back, or deviates from what was asked. These hypnotists leave these folk scattered around, people props, sitting, leaning against each other, in trance, doing nothing.

– Even for those entranced, who totally buy-in, and brilliantly act out the instructions given, their ability to choose, to honor their own limits is ever-present, and there may be suggestions they will not follow. An example comes to mind of a woman who had strong religious objections to dancing, and when instructed to dance on stage, she flat out refused. And when the hypnotist kept on pushing, she chose to come completely out of her trance and walked off stage.
    – A personal hypnosis session might look and feel quite different from the zombie version of trance or wildly acting out that happens during the entertainment. The same rules apply: how the brain works, the power of trance & imagination to help create change, and the truth of choice & how far you can stretch are the same.
    – The reality is I can’t snap my fingers and make people do anything I want. Hypnosis helps your brain play hooky, from some of the rules and behaviors that normally govern your actions, and allows your creativity and imagination to become a superpower. And like when you play hooky, there are still important beliefs and values that govern, and as noted above with the woman who walked off stage, certain things you will or won’t do.
    – When people come to me for an individual session. It’s no longer about entertainment, it’s about something important to them, a positive vision of themselves. One, they usually have tried and struggled to achieve on their own.
    When, their current habit or belief has value & purpose, but mismatches who they are now, and who they want to become, how do you choose? This is where hypnosis can help.
    – it’s not a lack of trying, mental strength, willpower, or some failing on their part or your part. Hypnosis allows you to expand your paradigms, step outside your old thinking, and comfortably choose new & different ways of thinking or feeling. It honors your choice to change and how you choose to change.
    – If you would like to talk more about achieving your chosen vision and how hypnosis can make that happen, I invite you to schedule a discovery call.

Profile Photo liked this

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
Jackie Barker
@jackiebarefootdc-com
Profile Photo
DanielaBorgialli
@socialdanielaborgialli-com
Profile Photo
Emily Gowen, Accredited Financial Coach
@emilypdxmoneycoaching-com