• Profile picture of NancyChen

NancyChen

2 years ago

Hey, thanks for feedback, all!

PSA SEED IDEA #1:
    “Debunking the Myth that Asian Women Leaders Have Nothing to Complain About”

1. Considered a “model minority” with nothing to complain about, Asian women are often invisible, overlooked, and under-rewarded at work, despite being subject to widespread gender and ethnic bias.

2. It doesn’t help that a traditional Asian upbringing drives us to be perfect, to conform, and to be subservient, soft-spoken introverts in a modern Western world that idealizes extroverts. But it is twice as tough on girls. Over 95 percent of my clients suffer anxiety and struggle because their family socialization directly conflicts with what is expected and needed of them at work. And at work, being a member of a “model minority” working hard to move up can actually work AGAINST us because, off the record, firms no longer consider us as “underserved” as other minorities.

3. But in fact, you ARE underserved if, as an Asian woman, you are being talked over at meetings, unrecognized for your contributions, underpaid, overlooked for promotion, or subject to microaggressions or harassment. In addition to these acts of unconscious bias, you ARE ALSO underserved because you are at a cultural disadvantage. If, as an Asian woman, you are stymied in getting ahead, effectively leading your team, or meeting work expectations; or if you feel you are not expressing your full potential, and making the maximum contribution and impact, then you, your firm and stakeholders ARE ALSO underserved because they are not getting THE BEST OF YOU and the MAXIMUM IMPACT you could contribute.

4. Zoe, my Asian client, knew she was not fully satisfied in her manager position but not sure why. The work was not all she hoped it would be; she saw coworkers getting plum assignments instead of her; she was not sure how management viewed or valued her contribution; and her boss’ boss had an unsettling habit of making comments about her being Asian. No wonder she felt less than confident at work! Working together in a coaching partnership, we built trust through our conversations full of honesty, empathy, and courage. We moved Zoe forward to GET CLEAR about what she valued, wanted and needed, and the kind of leader she wanted and needed to be; PRACTICED new skills like how to communicate with her management better; and we co-designed an ACTION PLAN to ACCOMPLISH her desired GOALS. It was a rich journey that saw Zoe’s hard work rewarded with a promotion into the area she most wanted; and most importantly, a solid foundation of confidence that will take her anywhere she wants to go, because she now knows WHO SHE REALLY IS.

5. Are you also feeling discounted and stuck? If you’d like to get out of the weeds and GET CLEAR, CONFIDENT, COMMITTED and MOVE TOWARD the RESULTS that matter to you, let’s have a talk. Happy to help. Powertthequeen.com/contact-2

Profile PhotoProfile PhotoProfile Photo liked this
    9 Comments
    • Nancy,
      I really like your PSA. lots of good content.
      My question is how much do you want to turn up the heat?
      I modified the opening title and the start of a couple of the passages. As I saiid the rest I felt was really good. You may or may not want to get as aggressive as I’ve written these.

“Who the Hell Says that Asian Women Leaders Have Nothing to Complain About”
      1. Asian women are often invisible, overlooked, and under-rewarded at work, despite being subject to widespread gender and ethnic bias.
      2. Traditional Asian upbringing drives us to be perfect, to conform, and to be subservient, soft-spoken introverts in a modern Western world that idealizes extroverts.
      3. It is twice as tough on girls. Over 95 percent of my clients suffer anxiety and struggle ….
      4. You ARE underserved if, as an Asian woman, you are being talked over at meetings, unrecognized for your contributions, underpaid, overlooked for promotion, or subject to microaggressions or harassment…
      5. Zoe, my Asian client, knew she was not fully satisfied in her manager position but not sure why. The work was not all she hoped it would be….
      5. Are you tired of feeling discounted and stuck? Do you want to get out of the weeds and GET CLEAR, CONFIDENT, COMMITTED and MOVE TOWARD the RESULTS that matter to you, let’s have a talk. Happy to help. Powertthequeen.com/contact-2

• One more note, that caught me right at the end. Your website, is “POWER THE QUEEN”, which is absolutely brilliant. I am curious, when you are in one of those moments, when perhaps you fully step into & embrace being “YOUR MOST POWERFUL QUEEN”,, what changes, if any might she make in your PSA.

• PS. There are lots of different versions & forms of POWER. Please forgive if I stepped too far in the aggressive, male version of it, with my suggestions.

• Hi Joel, thanks for your specific feedback, very helpful; I feel encouraged to strengthen the tone up a notch. And I don’t mind your speaking your assertive mind at all. I do like, “Who Says Asian Women Leaders….?”. (Don’t want to scare off the mostly soft spoken introvert prospects — haha). Everybody seems to love my Power To The Queen name for a brand; thank you for reminding me to stay in that energy as I create! I am conjuring up ways to give it LIFE and weave it into my content — as we work along, Joel, YOUR thoughts on this would be most welcome and appreciated!

• Hi Nancy,
          I’m glad you liked my notes. And part of why I said to myself am I going too far, was in consideration of both you & for your audience. And again, there are lots of versions of being powerful. It might even bee something you talk about yin vs. yang, soft vs. hard. And within one there is the other.
          One other thing to consider, if everyone loves “power the queen”. What if you also invite them to do something similar to what I asked you. “If you stepped inside the powerful queen inside of you for a moment, just a moment (giving a small time frame can allow people to feel safer when trying on something new)… what do you want?, what is your vision?… are you willing to move towards her?, embrace her?, reach out and let’s start a conversation about your becoming your powerful queen” Hope some of this is helpful.

• Great content Nancy! I echo Joel a bit in that I feel you could get this across even more with a bit more “queen fire” 🙂 I’m a little late to this so perhaps that’s something you’ve already changed up. And of course if you were going live or on video with this you’d be able to convey far more emotion and tone to it. Well written, but maybe a little scorch mark in there? 🙂

• Scorch marks, Nancy J, yeah! Here’s my PSA#1 Video. Can you take a look when you get a chance? (it seems I can’t post it directly). I can turn on the heat a lot more than this; you give me the idea of showing a “hotter” version to my clients for their response. Thanks! Thanks!https://youtu.be/Xk2ewiJ5kA4

• I missed this Nancy C! It shows that the video is private so I’m unable to watch, but I look forward to seeing it when you go live!!

About Me

Nancy Chen

Founder, Power To The Queen!

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
TanyaEasterling
@tanyaaaumedical-net
Profile Photo
DonnaDube
@productivityplus3gmail-com
Profile Photo