• Profile picture of JoelElfman

JoelElfman

1 year, 3 months ago

Here is a version of my article attempting to incorporate my 3-part process. Might be a little long.

“How’s Your Wabi-Sabi?”

In Japan, wabi-sabi is the philosophy of embracing that which is flawed and imperfect. While this often was applied to craft, we could easily apply it to ourselves, our life, and those around us. Many modern & ancient philosophers speak about honoring our mortality, our feet of clay, and that all human beings are perfectly imperfect.

Many Japanese art forms welcome wabi-sabi. Ikebana, Japanese flower arranging, deliberately breaks one stem or branch to represent the imperfections of the real world. And they even incorporate the cycle of life when they design arrangements. They do so, consciously creating new moments of beauty as the flowers grow & age, & more elements of wonder as they wither. We can contrast this against Western flower arranging, where everything usually tries to be fresh & perfect, and that which ages is quickly discarded.

In Kintsukuroi, “golden repair”, a pottery style, when a piece of ceramic naturally breaks it is traditionally joined w/ lacquer made from the sap of poison ivy. And the sticky sap is used as a glue to both repair cracks, and to hold fine layers of gold in place to highlight and accentuate the unique flaws. And aren’t the imperfections we have that make us most interesting, and add depth to who we are?

There is an old Asian story of 2 buckets being hauled up the side of the mountain by a water carrier. When one of the buckets springs a leak, the bucket is distraught about failing to carry as much water as its unflawed companion.
    After many trips up & down the mountain, the cracked bucket gives voice to its shortcoming and apologizes to the water carrier. The carrier says I noticed the leak, and began to scatter seeds underneath you. If you look around instead of down, I invite you to see all the flowers & their resplendent colors that have grown along your side of the path.

In my 12 week Signature Program, “Live Your Best Life,” I help people begin to embrace their flaws, and appreciate that which makes them unique, and empowers them using a simple 3-step process.
    1 – Connect- helping you align your mind, body, energy & spirit.
    2 – Create – Remodel old thoughts, habits & beliefs to improve your life.
    3 – Integrate – Embrace these new skills so you are empowered when needed.
    As you consider the marks that life has left on you, if you are ready for a bit of wabi-sabi, DM me. I’d love to explore with you how hypnosis can help you more fully embrace all the different parts of you, and let your gold highlights shine.

Profile PhotoProfile PhotoProfile Photo +2 liked this
    2 Comments

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
Jackie Barker
@jackiebarefootdc-com
Profile Photo
DanielaBorgialli
@socialdanielaborgialli-com
Profile Photo
Emily Gowen, Accredited Financial Coach