• Profile picture of BethShenton

BethShenton

10 months, 1 week ago

Hi everyone! I’ve been catching up offline on the Turning Point Stories. Here’s mine. (I left in the step by step prompts in this first draft). The photo included is from my first Valentine’s with my husband one million years ago, when he helped lay out a framework for a little joy in our lives. I’d love your comments! Thanks,
    ~Beth

OUTLINE:
    Stage 1: The Setup
    I worked in corporate America with small to midsize businesses for 8 years developing programs and strategies to improve the way people work. The work involved travel, which was exciting and interesting before 9/11, and a huge hassle afterwards. I went through big life change during this period, and all of it felt heavy and difficult.

Turning Point #1 (The Opportunity):
    I had a “life’s too short” moment when my cousin Paul died suddenly. I finally took time to reflect on what I was doing and what I wanted. I wrote my resignation letter on the plane ride home from the funeral and quit my job with nothing but determination to find some joy and purpose in my work life.
    When my mentor and friend Carol found out, she immediately suggested I propose a consultant position for the new non-profit my company was helping start.

Stage 2: The New Situation
    My partner supported this 100%, and he helped me write my first contract proposal.
    I started this new position, which Carol and I were creating on the fly, two weeks after leaving my corporate job. Our small team called ourselves the “powerful women group,” and we began building a successful programs for our nonprofit.

Turning Point #2 (The Change of Plans):
    While we built the nonprofit, I had other consulting opportunities, and I established my own company to pursue those that interested me.

Stage 3: Progress
    Over the next decade, I built a consistent book of clients and found great satisfaction in creating all kinds of solutions that made life better for participants in one way or another – finding better careers and financial stability, continuing their education, and succeeding more in all aspects of their lives.

Turning Point #3 (The Point of No Return):
    It became clearer and clearer to me that all my work circled a common theme – I was finding joy and purpose in helping people be their best selves.
    And I was living it, adding in healthy new habits and starting a yoga practice at my local studio.
    When I found out the studio owner was leaving and either closing or selling the business, I worked with my yoga teacher to see what we could do – if she would stay, I would buy the business. My partner, now my husband, was 100% supportive, and I made the deal.

Stage IV: Complications and Higher Stakes
    I ran full steam into the studio, finding more teachers, adding classes, and working on my own teaching certifications and the business, while continuing my full time consulting practice. Life was hectic! And full. And joyful! The business was finding its footing.

Turning Point #4 (A major setback):
    And then March 2020, pandemic closures, and a long, long road back for the studio. I negotiated a rent reduction with my understanding landlord Olivia and launched a retail space to generate more income for the studio and our teachers. We held onto our space and slogged through.

Stage 5: The Final Push
    Rick and I evaluated our own life plans and determined that we were in a good place for me to leave my consulting practice and focus solely on the studio. A frightening and exciting prospect! Leaving behind a big paycheck would be an adjustment. But it felt right in my gut, and I jumped last year.

Turning Point #5 (The Climax):
    In the year since I have been full time running the studio, business has exploded. 200 new clients have registered, and we had 2700 client visits in 2022. We have added new teachers and guest teachers, and a variety of classes right for all levels of our community.
    With a focus on membership, our monthly recurring income creates a stable foundation for the business and our growth.

Stage IV: The Aftermath
    As we grow the business, I continue to build my own business, marketing, and teaching skills. The studio continues to evolve, becoming more and more a reflection of my values and the experiences of everyone who is a part of our studio community. #community. Community is everything! Being a part of something matters.
    And so I spend my days barefoot in the studio, listening to the Beatles, sharing a laugh and the experience of working on our bodies and our best selves. Pure joy!

Step 4: CTA – what do you want people to do?
    What’s your story? We’d love to hear about how the studio has brought joy to your life, or how an experience put you on the path to your best self. And we’d love to share that with you in the studio. Join us – try your first class free, or book a complimentary consultation!

Profile Photo liked this
    6 Comments
    • Beth – this is beautiful. I love the part about how your studio continues to reflect the values that are important to you. I also love that you ask others to chime in and share what the studio means to them? It is great as is – and if you want to make it even stronger, I suggest outlining 3 values of the studio very clearly, so people don’t have to “read between the lines”. Bravo

• HI Beth, Great story & set of twists & turns. I do feel like the emotional content could be turned up a little more.

• Update: I used this turning point story in a grant application, and I’m a finalist for their top grant award! Kudos to this process – working through this story with Amy, Shannon and feedback received made a huge difference.

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
DonnaDube
@productivityplus3gmail-com
Profile Photo
AmyHager
@amymshannonhernandez-com