• Profile picture of ThiaPierson

ThiaPierson

3 weeks, 1 day ago

Here is my draft:

Have you ever thrown the baby out with the bathwater?

Once an owner came into my HR office and said ‘we need to fire a VP’. As HR there are two things I always insist upon – process and doing the right thing. So of course I said ‘show me the documentation’. He brought back 3 pages of every minor and major grievance. He was obviously irritated.

I boiled it all down to three main behaviors that needed to be addressed. I suggested a three tier plan to give the executive a chance to turn it around. The owner was onboard and to the VP’s credit, he was too.

6 months later the owner told me the VP was now his favorite person on the leadership team.

Crazy, right!?

Sometimes when we are clear on what we want and what we think is best in the moment, we need to take a step back and look deeper at the situation. In this case we retained an executive with both institutional knowledge and brand loyalty. By rethinking the situation, we chose to upskill the individual, set clear expectations, and provide the resources necessary for the change. WIN-WIN!

This is why I started Noetic Innovations, to offer programs to help leaders overcome obstacles so instead of “throwing out” the people with knowledge and heart, they can upskill and provide clear direction when appropriate.

Gaining the tools to rethink, re-evaluate, and innovate a new path forward can make a huge difference in your leadership journey.

Escape Velocity Leadership Program will lead you through the tools and processes to change your leadership trajectory towards stellar outcomes.

Click in the comments below to schedule a complimentary discovery call.
    Or simply sign up for the Escape Velocity journey.

Profile Photo liked this
    2 Comments
    • Great story! Maybe also tie in that retaining people and retraining can also be better for a business bottom line than throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

• This is such a good story. If you added anything about how much people save to retain VS fire, that could be a quick line OR a whole new thought reversal piece.

Media