• Profile picture of Annette Presley

Annette Presley

1 year, 9 months ago

Here’s my why I do what I do story:

When I first started out as a dietitian, I was so excited to help people feel better and have the ability and energy to do all the things they wanted to do.

About 14 years in, my excitement turned to anger when I discovered that the advice I was giving was actually contributing to chronic disease and obesity. I was so mad I nearly quit nutrition entirely, but God convinced me to stay in and tell the truth, so here I am.

I changed what I taught and managed to get away with it for 3 years before the local dietetic association filed a complaint against me for telling people to eat butter instead of margarine. No joke. I spent the next year defending my credentials which I managed to do successfully without going to court.

Having to defend my credentials gave me an inside view of our healthcare system and what I found really disturbed me. The truth didn’t matter, I discovered that our healthcare policies had more to do with politics than science. I even had to use a disclaimer for a year in order to tell the truth about fat. It was crazy!

But so unfair to you.

So I thought, if I could educate women on the options available they could make informed choices and avoid useless drugs and unnecessary surgery.

The problem is we are so conditioned to believe the “experts” that anything new is often dismissed as quackery. The standards of care are so entrenched that even doctors don’t know about alternative options.

Then I thought, we need to change the standards of care so women can get care that truly honors their mind and body.

I tried making some changes when I worked in the hospital setting, but quickly discovered the system will not change from the inside. Change will have to come from outside the system.

That’s when the light bulb went off. If I could educate women about their options and collaborate with others in the healing space, we could arm women so they could be effective advocates for themselves. If we got enough women to demand better care, the system would have to comply or die.

That is why I do what I do. I want you to live free from depression, anxiety, pain, fatigue, bloating, and hot flashes. I want you to keep your reproductive system intact along with your gallbladder and breasts.

I want you to have the energy to play with your kids or grandkids, to be an entrepreneur, to travel, or do whatever it is that makes your heart happy.

I think women deserve better than what we have been getting. It’s time to ruffle some feathers, think differently, and take bold action together.

If you want better options than antidepressants, birth control, hysterectomies, and mastectomies, sign up for my newsletter so you can stay informed.

Profile PhotoProfile Photo liked this
    10 Comments
    • Whoops. Is it compelling? Anything you don’t like?

• I like it a lot. Here are a few suggested edits. I think your anger & frustration w/ the system comes through clearly, along w/ the desire for something better. I imagine the women struggling w/ all of these might need a sense of support & caring. While I know you care deeply about your clients. Somehow, I don’t feel I’m getting quite as strong a sense of the warm, fuzzy, as of the outrage & fight, so I added “I care deeply…”. I don’t know if there is more that is needed but it is something to consider. It can provide a very nice similar parallel tension arc to try & create change, and the system resists. Now you can do, care…outrage…care…outrage…care.
        =================================================================================

When I first started out as a dietitian, I was so excited to help people feel better.

About 14 years in, my excitement turned to anger when I discovered that the advice I was giving was actually contributing to chronic disease and obesity. I was so mad I nearly quit nutrition entirely, but God convinced me to stay in and tell the truth, so here I am.

I changed what I taught and but 3 years later the local dietetic association filed a complaint against me for telling people to eat butter instead of margarine. I spent the next year successfully defending my credentials which I managed to do successfully without going to court.

Having to defend my credentials gave me an inside view of our healthcare system and discovering that our healthcare policies had more to do with politics than science. I even had to use a disclaimer for a year in order to tell the truth about fat. It was crazy!

I thought, if I could educate women on the options available they could make informed choices and avoid useless drugs and unnecessary surgery. The problem is we are so conditioned to believe the “experts” that anything new is often dismissed as quackery. The standards of care are so entrenched that even doctors don’t know or don’t want to know about helpful alternative options.

I tried making some changes when I worked in the hospital setting, but quickly discovered the system will not change from the inside. To change the standards of care so women can get care that truly honors their mind and body, change will have to come from outside the system.

I care deeply about you and I think women deserve better than what we have been getting.

I want you (women) :
        – to live free from depression, anxiety, pain, fatigue, bloating, and hot flashes.
        – to keep your reproductive system intact along with your gallbladder and breasts
        – to have the energy to play with your kids or grandkids, to be an entrepreneur, to travel, or do whatever it is that makes your heart happy.
        – educated about your options and able to collaborate with others in the healing space.

I want you armed so you can effectively advocate for yourself. If we got enough women to demand better care, the system would have to comply or die. It’s time for us to ruffle some feathers, think differently, and take bold action together.

If you want better options than antidepressants, birth control, hysterectomies, and mastectomies, sign up for my newsletter so you can stay informed.

• I agree with Joel that I think it comes out harsher than kinder. The first section especially comes out strong. Paragraph 3 & 4 seem very personal so I think they need to change some. Instead of saying you were “getting away with it”, make this more about your clients at the time. Something along the lines of “My system was meant to help my clients but was so different than standard care that even the professionals questioned my authority.” Recheck those two paragraphs to see how you can make it about the clients’ care and how you were trying to help.
      Otherwise I think it’s very good.

• I’m looking forward to the rewrite. You got a great story and a wonderful rhythm of tension & release. A little more of your vulnerable and caring side and you are there.

• How about this?

When I first started out as a dietitian, I was so excited to help people feel better and have the ability and energy to do all the things they wanted to do.

I changed what I taught and three years later the local dietetic association filed a complaint against me for telling people to eat butter instead of margarine. No joke. I spent the next year defending my credentials which I managed to do successfully.

Having to defend my credentials gave me an inside view of our healthcare system and what I found really disturbed me. The truth didn’t matter. I discovered that our healthcare policies had more to do with politics than science. I even had to use a disclaimer for a year in order to tell the truth about fat. It was crazy!

As a woman and a mother, I know what it’s like to go to the doctor only to have him or her treat you like a crazy person, dismiss your symptoms as normal, and send you out the door with a pill that won’t actually fix your problem.

I thought if I could educate women on their options for achieving and maintaining good health, they could make informed decisions and avoid useless drugs and unnecessary surgery.

The problem is we are so conditioned to believe the “experts” that anything new is often dismissed as quackery. The standards of care are so entrenched that even doctors don’t know about alternative options nor do they want to learn about them.

What we need to do is change the standards of care so women can get care that truly honors their mind and body.

I care deeply about women’s health and I think we’ve gone far too long with barbaric care. I want women to be well so they can share their incredible gifts with the world, take care of their families, and have some fun.

I want you to live free from depression, anxiety, pain, fatigue, bloating, and hot flashes.

I want you to keep your reproductive system intact, along with your gallbladder and breasts.

I want you to have the energy to play with your kids and grandkids, to be an entrepreneur, to travel, or do whatever it is that makes your heart happy.

I want you to know all your options so you can make truly informed decisions about your health and body and be a strong advocate for yourself at the doctor’s office. If enough women start demanding better care, the system will have to comply or die.

It’s time to ruffle some feathers, think differently, and take bold action together!

If you want better options than birth control, antidepressants, hysterectomies, and mastectomies, sign up for my newsletter to stay informed and be empowered.

• Hi Annette,
              This is better. It’s still got a little bit of focus on your upset, so I wonder if we can take advantage of that. And I hope I’m not putting words in your mouth.

About 14 years in, my excitement turned to anger when I discovered that the (medical?) advice I was taught to give was actually contributing to chronic disease and obesity. I was so mad I nearly quit nutrition entirely, but God convinced me to stay in and tell the truth, so here I am.

I changed what I taught and three years later the local dietetic association filed a complaint against me for telling people to eat butter instead of margarine. No joke. I spent the next year defending my credentials which I managed to do successfully.

Having to defend my credentials gave me an inside view of our healthcare system and what I found really disturbed me. I discovered that the truth didn’t matter. And our healthcare policies had more to do with politics than science. I even had to use a disclaimer for a year in order, to tell the truth about fat. It was crazy!

I thought if I could educate women on their options for achieving and maintaining good health, they could make informed decisions and avoid useless drugs and unnecessary surgery.
              The problem is we are so conditioned to believe the “experts” that anything new is often dismissed as quackery. The standards of care are so entrenched that even doctors don’t know about alternative options nor do they want to learn about them.

If I sound angry, I am. It’s because I care so deeply. As a woman and a mother, I know what it’s like to go to the doctor only to have him or her treat you like a crazy person, dismiss your symptoms as normal, and send you out the door with a pill that won’t actually fix your problem. I’m tired of all of that, I want us to change the standards of care so women can get the help that truly honors their mind and body. (You had 2 “care”s in the same sentence)

I care about your health and I think we’ve gone far too long with barbaric care. I want women to be well so they can share their incredible gifts with the world, take care of their families, and have some fun.

(instead of “I care,” below, you could go w/ “I love you,”)
              I care, I want you to live free from depression, anxiety, pain, fatigue, bloating, and hot flashes.

I care, I want you to keep your reproductive system intact, along with your gallbladder and breasts.

I care, I want you to have the energy to play with your kids and grandkids, be an entrepreneur, travel, or do whatever it is that makes your heart happy.

I care, I want you to know all your options so you can make truly informed decisions about your health and body and be a strong advocate for yourself at the doctor’s office. If enough women start demanding better care, the system will have to comply or die.

I care, I want you to have better options than birth control, antidepressants, hysterectomies, and mastectomies

It’s time to ruffle some feathers, think differently, and take bold action together!

If this resonates with you sign up for my newsletter to stay informed and be empowered.”

• Thank you Joel! You helped me see something. I was reading your rewrite and thought if I have to say I care that many times for it to come across that I care (particularly when no else has to do that), then there is a disconnect somewhere so I did some Theta Healing around compassion and changed some things. I’ll do a rewrite and we’ll see if that fixed the problem.

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
KerstinPeters
@kpetersdomingoinformatics-ca
Profile Photo
DonnaDube
@productivityplus3gmail-com
Profile Photo
Brenda Uekert
@docbkugmail-com
Profile Photo