• Profile picture of SaraFins

SaraFins

7 months, 2 weeks ago

H! Here is my first stab at a value content email. I did not use the 3 related tips format. Not sure if that is a must, but I felt it flowed better this week. Feedback appreciated!

Email subject line: Why focusing on your revenue could actually be hurting your business

and what to do instead

Hi TEST,

When it comes to keeping track of the numbers in your business, most business owners focus a lot of time/energy on revenue. While this number is important, putting your sole focus there can actually hurt your business.

What should you do instead? Focus on profitability.

Do you know if your business is profitable? (link to workshop signup)

I know this can be a confusing question for many small business owners. If you don’t have a background in accounting or finance or prior experience with the behind-the-scenes aspects of running a business, you may not even be sure how to know.

Don’t worry, I can help.

First, let me explain the difference between revenue and profit. Revenue is the money that you are making in your business from all sources – client sessions, online courses, affiliate fees, etc.

If you are feeling good about the revenue that you are making in your business, that is great! It means you are likely serving your clients and doing the work you want to do in this world. That is a win!

Now let’s talk about profit.

Profit is the money you have leftover in your business at the end of the day when you take the amount of revenue you are making and deduct the costs of your business – such as website fees, client management systems, office supplies, and the cost of your employees or contractors.

You also need to factor in the salary you are paying yourself (and I hope you are paying yourself).

So, if you are making money in your business (revenue) but do not have enough left over at the end of the day (profit) to cover your costs and pay yourself, something needs to change.

Not sure what? Don’t worry, I’ve got you.

Join me for my upcoming FREE workshop, where I will teach you what you need to know to understand how to run a profitable business.

The workshop will be held via Zoom on Wednesday, October 25th at 1:00 PM Eastern. If you can’t make it live, sign up anyway and I’ll send you the replay. Click here to register. (registration link)

When you have the knowledge that you need to understand your finances easily, you can create a thriving, sustainable business and do more of the work you love.

Here’s to your profitable business!

Sara

P.S. Want support right away? Schedule a time to chat to see how I can help. (link to schedule a discovery call)

6 Comments
    • I like this Sara. (Being a person who feels like Charlie Brown in class with the blah blah teacher -the minute people talk money/revenue / profit… huh?) I feel that I might like it shortened – you say “focus on profitability” – and my mind wants to know right away what that is and then vs what revenue is…. and then a tie in and your CTA…. not sure if this makes sense – but would love to hear what Amy and Shannon have to say…

• I love this! I had a question about the difference between revenue and profitability, and then you answered it. You asked questions and shared tips without making me feel like I was doing something wrong, and when I realized I don’t do this – you offered a solution and hope!

• Hi Sara, I felt there was too much explanation. I think most people understand some of the things you were explaining. So I cropped considerably. If you want to keep more of the explanations, I would tighten it up.
      Technically, most of what is written is about making money & profit which could apply to marketing, sales, or other arenas.
      Maybe there could be more of an overall explanation that you help folks understand their numbers, which isn’t really touched upon until about 1/2 way through. Examples of a crazy expense you helped someone find (if that is not giving away too much info) might help get people thinking.
      =========================================
      When it comes to their numbers, most business owners focus on revenue.

But are you profitable? (link to workshop signup)

Are you covering all your costs?
      Are you putting money aside for a vacation?, reserve fund?, retirement?, expansion?, Paying yourself a salary? (Be specific)

So, if you are making money in your business (revenue) but do not have enough left over at the end of the day (profit) to cover your costs and pay yourself, something needs to change.

Not sure what? Don’t worry, I’ve got you.
      Join me for my upcoming FREE workshop, where I will share with you, what your numbers are telling, and what you need to know to understand how to run a profitable business.

The workshop will be held via Zoom on Wednesday, October 25th at 1:00 PM Eastern. If you can’t make it live, sign up anyway and I’ll send you the replay. Click here to register. (registration link)

When you have the knowledge that you need to understand your finances easily, you can create a thriving, sustainable business and do more of the work you love.

Here’s to your profitable business!

Sara
      P.S. Want support right away? Schedule a time to chat to see how I can help. (link to schedule a discovery call)

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
Stephanie Steyer
@stephaniestephaniesteyer-com
Profile Photo
SafriannaLughna
@therapysafrianna-com
Profile Photo
DianaLidstone
@diana-lidstonegmail-com
Profile Photo