• Profile picture of CarrieWulf

CarrieWulf

3 weeks ago

Topic: How does your prior experience/work/career help to uniquely position what you do?

I’m afraid this one might be too long, and I may have gotten a little soapbox. Would love any feedback.

Subject Line: Unlock My Hidden Talents
    Preview Text: How volunteer work shapes exceptional professionals.

Hook: Why you shouldn’t discount volunteer work as valid job experience

Many people “should-ed” all over me when I made the choice to stop working outside the home and pour my energy into advocating for and supporting my autistic daughter.

“You should keep working, even if it’s just part-time. Employers won’t want to hire you if you have such a large employment history gap.”

“You should put her in a daycare that is equipped to care for autistic children.” (As if I’M not qualified to care for my own child. 🤬 We recognized the Autism early thanks to my Early Childhood Education background. I think I’m qualified.)

You should, you should, you should… Thanks, but I should on myself enough; I don’t need to add your “should” to my should-pile.

Let me be clear; I made the choice to stop working for an employer outside the home. That didn’t stop me from volunteering my time and skills while she was in her 2 hours of respite care each week. Or during the afternoons when she started at the inclusive preschool. Over the past 15 years, I became what my family called a “professional volunteer,” spending up to 30 hours a week working with non-profit groups and military family support groups, sitting on boards of directors, or serving as a civilian liaison.

I’m not “just a stay-at-home mom.” I’m a recipient of the Artillery Order of Molly Pitcher and the Commander’s Award for Public Service (among others). I’m an award-winning volunteer who also happens to be a stay-at-home mom.

Earning those rewards was an honor and acknowledged my dedication and determination. Qualities that I bring into the work I do today. I used all the skills that I had, and I learned new skills when needed to continue with the volunteer work.

A non-profit needed to use a new reporting program, and nobody was techy enough to figure it out. I went to the training, learned the program, and ran it for them. Once the bugs were worked out, I taught them to use it.

My husband’s military unit needed a highly organized spouse to run its Family Readiness Group. I stepped up and ran the group for three years. This included following and writing many standard operating procedures, maintaining a chain of communication during deployments and field exercises, assisting families during financial and family emergencies, and planning events for 100+ adults and children.

While volunteering, I sharpened my love and respect for tech, systems, processes, and procedures. Although I haven’t worked for an employer these past 18 years, I have worked with 6, 7, and 8-figure clients, families in need or in crisis, brigade commanders, military spouse support groups, board members, non-profit groups, and many more.

I have gained a larger perspective on interacting with people from all walks of life and in all positions of authority. The volunteer awards are my testimonies and social proof that I have not been “just a stay-at-home mom” but have a solid foundation of skills, leadership, and dedication.

The next time you see a lack of employment history, ask yourself, “What have they been doing instead?” The answer might surprise you. If you are ready to see how my resilience and determination can help you realign your systems and workflows, let’s talk.

Profile Photo liked this
    1 Comment
    • I like this piece. Enjoyed learning that about you. I would just like to be clear though, who is your audience?

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
Sandra // The Data Maven
@sandrasandrahalling-com
Profile Photo
AimeeRussell
@aimzdeehotmail-com