• Profile picture of RuthRoland

RuthRoland

1 year, 3 months ago

What do you think of these?

EASE: Learning music can be comfortable, easy, and enjoyable.

EXPRESSION: You have something to say. Music is a marvelous way to say it.

MASTERY: You have an artistic spirit. We’ll help you send it into the world.

CONNECTION: We meet you where you are and engage with kindness, honesty, and innovation.

STEWARDSHIP: We provide scholarships and perform outreach. Everyone deserves music!

Profile Photo liked this
    8 Comments
    • Aloha, Ruth! I like to go with the NLP (neuro-linguistic programming) model of not trying to say what I’m aiming at with a negative… meaning the subconscious works in images, and we can’t negate an image. So… If I say to you “don’t think of the color of your car” you pretty much think of it right away, because the image my words presented is “the color of my car”. “Don’t drink and drive” is better stated “Only drive sober.” So for the first sentence, I would avoid the word pain. It brings up an association of music with pain for me. I might say “Learning music can be easy, fun, and enjoyable!” And I love the rest!

• Love NLP! I don’t know it thoroughly, but I teach as much as I can using positives. I really want to address the physical pain often associated with learning an instrument, often from past experience. With the help of a thesaurus I found the word “comfortable” (duh). I also un-Yoda’d the syntax. Thank you!

• Hi Ruth,
      I like these, and at the same time, I think you might be overthinking this. This current batch feels like you are still tuning the phrases. And that is part of the natural process to get the right notes.
      Personally I would flip the descriptions for Connection & Stewardship. I think of Stewardship as guiding them, and Connection as bringing them into community.
      While this version of “Expression” I am suggesting in the next line might be a bit over the top. “When your soul cries out to speak its truth, music is a fun & wondrous way to communicate”. I’d love to see the current version taken up a notch or two.

• Yes, exactly–I want the words to be just right. It takes awhile, but I disagree that it’s overthinking. I understand that it’s not necessary to have the words fine-tuned before posting. But it’s worth it to put in the extra effort at this stage to avoid the nagging distraction going forward. I’m not in a hurry!

• I retooled the Connection and Stewardship descriptions. My intentions are the connection between teacher and student, and the school’s stewardship of the community (students and other residents).

It bothers me slightly that the two stewardship pieces are lumped together. Or maybe mostly that the resident half is wordier. The easiest way to balance them would be to specify who gets the scholarships. But saying “scholarships to needy students” or “disadvantaged” or “under-served” seems both derogatory and self-inflating.

So let’s look at paring the service performance end of it. What summarizes them in a non-generic way?

• “Do service performances” “provide service opportunities” “perform around town”
          senior centers, veteran’s homes, children’s (and general) hospitals, day camps, schools, restaurants, worship areas, farmers’ markets…
          Also, the providers of the scholarships and the performers are not exactly the same populations, which bugs me a little.

• I agree that the Expression description seems a little bland. I’m writing for adults and children, analytical and visceral folks, and I want to keep the text simple. Does my small tweak help convey the magic?

About Me

Ruth Roland

Director, Baton Rouge Conservatory

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
KerstinPeters
@kpetersdomingoinformatics-ca
Profile Photo
JulianneMiller, AFC®
@juliannelifemoneymanagement-com
Profile Photo