• Profile picture of RuthRoland

RuthRoland

11 months, 1 week ago

When COVID hit, many of my violin students could no longer afford lessons, so I took on a few piano students. As the economy adjusted to the pandemic, more and more students came to me—for both piano and violin.

At that time I was teaching at five locations. Between the long drives and the large number of students, I didn’t feel able to give my students the attention they deserve.

I decided to simplify to two locations and one schedule, even though that meant letting go of 1/3 of my income. Immediately I felt a weight lift off my shoulders. I hired a like-minded instructor to take my sweet piano students and felt even lighter.

But now there were two of us teaching–a music school! I applied for an LLC and started researching business strategy. A smart, capable person like me should be able to put all the pieces in place!

Change of Plans: Can’t do it alone, hired a business coach.

Progress: Grew from 2 to 10 teachers in a matter of months. Over 15 applications for the most recent job opening. Used my five core values to decide who to hire. Our student body is also steadily growing.

Point of No Return: ?

Profile PhotoProfile Photo liked this
    2 Comments
    • I feel like your point of no return is that moment when you decided that you couldn’t teach at 5 locations anymore.. how long did you do that for before you made that decision??? Did you decide on your own to simplify to 2 locations 1 schedule? what does that entail? Did you already know your like-minded instructor who you hired to help? and you had the thought to hire her vs just give her your students…
      I feel like there’s more to share here? maybe???

• I like this a lot. Does “at this time…” describe pre-Covid or during Covid?
      You might consider turning up the emotion a bit.
      Examples:
      – Between the long drives & the large number of students, I was struggling & frustrated, I didn’t feel I was able to give my students the attention they deserve. After a lot of thought and a hell of a lot of internal debate, I decided to simplify! Even though I let go of 1/3 of my income, immediately I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders.
      – A smart, capable person like me should be able to put all the pieces in place, but still, I was struggling, I wasn’t where I wanted to be.
      – Change of Plans: I decided I can’t do it alone. After a lot of looking around, I finally chose a business coach, that felt right to me.

What are your core values to decide whom to hire? I don’t know, you’ve got to tell me a little more here. It will say a lot about you & the school if you talk about your values, and what you want from your teachers.
      Example – I’ve got over 15 applicants for the most recent music teacher opening. How do I choose? I really listen to them & myself. I am constantly asking if they are a good fit for the school, do they listen to & respect the student…

About Me

Ruth Roland

Director, Baton Rouge Conservatory

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
KerstinPeters
@kpetersdomingoinformatics-ca
Profile Photo
JulianneMiller, AFC®
@juliannelifemoneymanagement-com
Profile Photo