• Profile picture of RuthRoland

RuthRoland

8 months, 4 weeks ago

Ask Me Anything!
    1. TOPIC: The journey from beginner to performer
    Whether you’re starting off on voice or another instrument, there are certain qualities you need in order to be comfortable and confident playing or singing in front of others. Even simple pieces in informal settings may cause anxiety or jitters.
    Has this happened to you? What questions do you have for me about it?

2. TOPIC: Finding time to practice
    Do you schedule your practice time, or just rely on having a free stretch of time every once in a while? Is your current plan working? What questions do you have for me about this?

3. TOPIC: Making practice fun for children
    Nobody likes doing things they have to do. So it should be no surprise when children resist music practice. What issues are arising in your practices? What questions do you have for me?

4. TOPIC: How I learned to play violin again after having a stroke
    A dozen or so years ago, a stroke paralyzed my entire right side. I also lost the ability to play by ear and read music. What would you like to know about my recovery process?

5. TOPIC: How we afforded music lessons for two children
    When we first moved to Louisiana, we qualified for special tax credits for low-income households. I was harvesting bamboo from our yard to feed the family (if you know the five-step process to make bamboo edible, you’ll understand why this is a big deal). Still, we made arts education a priority and provided our children with violin, piano, guitar, and voice lessons. What questions do you have about what we had to sacrifice to make this work?

Profile PhotoProfile Photo liked this
    10 Comments

About Me

Ruth Roland

Director, Baton Rouge Conservatory

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
KerstinPeters
@kpetersdomingoinformatics-ca
Profile Photo
JulianneMiller, AFC®