• Profile picture of RuthRoland

RuthRoland

7 months, 4 weeks ago

FLAP YOUR WINGS reboot:
    They never expected THIS to hatch out of their egg!
    “If an egg is in your nest, you sit on it and keep it warm. It doesn’t matter whose egg it is.” That’s one of the many lines that brought tears to my eyes.

Jeff brought home a copy of P.D. Eastman’s Flap Your Wings from a garage sale when Cole was little. I was excited because I knew of Eastman’s other books like Are You My Mother? and Go Dog, Go! But I had never seen this one. It’s a beautiful story, and almost always my first choice for reading at day camps and after-school programs.

Integrity, loyalty, and non-judgment are qualities I admire in Father Bird and strive for in my own life. Also recovering from or responding well to surprises.

Integrity, loyalty, and non-judgment are the qualities that drive my life, my teaching, even the school I own—the Baton Rouge Conservatory.

They inform the way I choose and work with my fellow teachers as well as my students.
    For instance, when a student comes into their 5th lesson (or sometimes 17th or even 142nd) and puts the violin on the wrong shoulder my first thought is
    NOT “Fiddlesticks! You should really know better by now.”
    but
    “Hmmm…what would make it IMPOSSIBLE to forget which side the instrument goes on?”
    I don’t always get this right, but it’s what I aim for…
    …and the more I practice, the better I get.

Profile Photo liked this
    4 Comments
    • Ruth this is awesome!

A couple of small things come to mind

1- referencing the author – I would add a tiny more explanation – “”I was excited because I knew Eastman’s books, Are You…”

2- layout – I might consider putting the NOT – on the same line as Fiddlesticks
      – and bolding “What would make it IMPOSSIBLE…” (I love this question)
      – and capitalizing IMPOSSIBLE (great line that is written in lower case at the moment doesn’t seem to be jumping out as strongly as it could)

3- qualities – your reference the qualities you admire… integrity, loyalty, etc. and then jump to “For instance…”
      It is truly a wonderful example but it took me a moment to process when you then came back to “These are the qualities that drive…”
      I’m wondering if you should name the qualities the 2nd time, move the example or do some other restructuring to make the connection clearer.

Can you ask a question of them here? Are these the qualities you are teaching in the school (or are they in the background)
      Can you ask – What would it be like for your child to learn those qualities of Father Bird, integrity, loyalty & non-judgment as well as how to recover well from surprises as part of their music training?

In the alternative – you can make it a gentle suggestion – “Imagine what it would be like for your child to learn…”

What might be another question that can tie everything together &/or get the parents thinking about all the benefits they are being offered alongside the music lessons?

Again, wonderful piece!!!!

• Still thinking of an appropriate question/suggestion. I love the idea of a question, but I also think the aiming and practicing themes are apt. Integrity, loyalty, and non-judgment take a back seat (albeit leaning forward and sometimes tuning the radio) to those we actively teach. Not directly addressing the audience also seems more comfortable for new community members. On the other hand, it would be good not to end with so many “I” statements.

About Me

Ruth Roland

Director, Baton Rouge Conservatory

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
KerstinPeters
@kpetersdomingoinformatics-ca
Profile Photo
JulianneMiller, AFC®
@juliannelifemoneymanagement-com
Profile Photo