• Profile picture of Dan Lewis

Dan Lewis

6 months, 3 weeks ago

Value Messaging – posting on Linked In and Facebook

No more boring headshots: Three tips for using location for standout personal brand images

Ever go to a coach’s website and see a conventional headshot photographed against a soft, blurry portrait studio backdrop? Of course we all have. It’s often the mark of a so-called “professional” headshot.

I hate these. They isolate you in a meaningless void – just floating in space. Frankly they’re boring, and they make you a commodity. A huge missed opportunity to position yourself.

Ditch the fake background. And get out of the studio! A sense of a specific, evocative location can make your brand images unique, meaningful and resonant. And it will definitely set you apart.

Here are three tips to using location to create images that tell me something meaningful about what kind of transformational expert you are.

Use your location to communicate your authority and your approachability
    Your brand images should communicate both your authority as a transformational expert and your approachability as a human being.

But which do you lead with? If you’re working in a corporate or business environment, you may want to foreground your authority. A location that consists of hard materials like stone or steel and includes straight edges will suggest elevated status.

On the other hand, if you’re a therapist or lead with your “softer” people skills, a location that includes nature, fabrics, or curves will subtly suggest empathy, warmth, and humanity.

Use the location to metaphorically suggest the world you inhabit or the transformation you offer.
    Think about the kind of relationship you create with your clients, the kind of problems you solve, and the solution you’ll affect together. The environment of the photo can metaphorically suggest that relationship or transformation.

For instance, including a doorway in the image can suggest new spaces and possibilities to enter into. A bridge can indicate a overcoming an obstacle or a gap. Steps can hint at something higher (and better) than where you are right now.

Any of these elements can reinforce your message to your clients. And make it more visually eye-catching as well!

But don’t let the location steal the show.
    The location is the supporting player, not the star. Avoid garish colors and busy-ness. You certainly don’t want that vacation snapshot feel of “Hey, look! I’m standing in front of the Eiffel Tower!” Suggest. Don’t hit me over the head.

Roxanne is an executive coach who has decades of wisdom and experience. As we explored how she relates to her clients, the words trust, groundedness and listener emerged. I knew immediately I wanted to place her in the context of stone for its solidity and stability. A trustworthy refuge. I found a local gothic-style church courtyard with classic open archways and beautiful light for our location, but was careful not to include any religious indicators. Here’s my favorite image. Notice how the curve of the window’s ridges soften the effect of the stone. And how the tangle of vines provides a contrast to the solidity of the stone.

Selecting the right location for your brand photos can help you communicate a visual message as unique as you are.

Are you a coach, consultant or transformational leader committed to being boldly visible in service of sharing your gifts with your right-fit clients?

Schedule a complimentary inspiration session today!
    https://calendly.com/badassity/consultation

4 Comments
    • Wow, that image is really big. Feels like the hook needs some love. Right now it’s oriented to avoiding what you don’t want — boring headshots. Maybe orient to what you DO want — like headshots that capture your attention? Either way I really want to position my services as MUST HAVE, not just nice to have. Thoughts?

• Hi Dan….Ever go to a coach’s website and see a conventional headshot photographed against a soft, blurry portrait studio backdrop? Of course we all have. It’s often the mark of a so-called “professional” headshot. Is this your hook? I agree with you, to talk about how it’s a must have. When you go on to explain how you like to personalize your sessions, how through the setting, it compels people to want to hire them, and your skills are responsible for that, then I think this is great messaging. For me, I only took shots for my business twice and I picked the location with my photogrpaher in nature, so I didn’t have the backdrop issue you mentioned in the hook as an issue, so it took me a moment to understand where you were going. Not because it wasn’t clear, I felt it was, but since I didn’t have experience about this, or notice it in other’s photos so much, I was unfamiliar with this being a symptom. But again, I can be an anomoly.

• You LOVE this format, don’t you! I really like this. If you wanted to A/B test this – I would put two images together. 1 of someone in front of the blue fuzzy background (if you have a client that used to have the bad background,, that would be cool to have the same person. I have a fuzzy blue background and outdoor ones that I am happy to donate the your cause ) and the other with a background like you describe. See what image helps elevate this message.

• Hi Dan,

Great pic of your client.
      I would consider shortening the title – No more boring headshots: Three tips for using location

What confuses is me you talk about a blurry background, and part of your photo is out of focus. It seems contradictory to me. Plus, I am finding the out-of-focus portion distracting from the beautiful & strong portion in focus.

About Me

Dan Lewis

Photographer/ Personal Brand Consultant

Media