• Profile picture of Dan Lewis

Dan Lewis

1 month, 3 weeks ago

Doesn’t meet the criteria of this month’s topic, but I wanted to share a great client story that demonstrates my expertise. (Show it, don’t tell it!)

Badassity can come in deceptive packages.

“I’m just a little old lady that likes to write,” were among the first words out of Sue’s mouth on our brand discovery call.

True statement — except for that little word ‘just’. Novelist Sue Burke is so much more.

Five published science fiction novels, and another in the works.

A keen intelligence and out-sized imagination that pictures, for instance, a world in which plant life is sentient and makes contact with human beings.

A popular speaker and panelist at international science fiction conventions.

An active social justice warrior.

And then there’s that vivid blue streak in her hair . . .

Sue came to me wanting new brand photos to support her upcoming publications and speaking engagements. I knew I wanted to add edge to her online presence — and to elevate the visual charisma of this “little old lady” to match the badassity of her writing and speaking.

How to do that? In the details!

Wardrobe: We went with dark neutral colors for Sue’s wardrobe. I didn’t want anything to distract from the distinctive blue streak in her hair (which complements her eyes.). I love the classic but stylish black overcoat we settled on. (For some reason, from the beginning, I had pictured Sue — Humphrey Bogart-like — in some sort of overcoat or trench coat.)

Do you notice the oversize buttons? They read as both a circle AND a square at the same time. It’s an exotic detail that hints at Sue’s hidden multi-dimensionality.

Location: I picked the ultra-modern pedestrian bridge at the Art Institute of Chicago. (I wanted to get the deconstructivist lines and shapes of Frank Gehry’s bandshell in the background. As it turns out, this particular photo doesn’t feature that backdrop.) The converging lines of the handrails lead your eye right to Sue’s eyes.

And the bridge provides a subtle metaphor of passage to a different, discontinuous space! Kinda like a novel . . .

Here’s our favorite photo from the day.

Badassity and authentic visual charisma from this “little old lady that likes to write.” It passes the magazine cover test!

Are you a coach, consultant , entrepreneur, or transformational leader committed to elevating the visual charisma of your personal brand photography?

Schedule a possibility consultation today!
    https://lnkd.in/gB-9utk9

Profile PhotoProfile PhotoProfile Photo liked this
    5 Comments
    • Dan, this speaks directly to your expertise. The things you draw our attention to, isn’t stuff most of us would notice consciously or know. I found myself going back to the photo to see what I’d missed on my first pass. I also love this line: “Badassity can come in deceptive packages.” 😁 One question… I don’t quite understand what “hard, hard” science fiction means? 🤔

• Thanks, Ann! I’m not 100% good on that line in the photo. Sue writes in a genre called “hard science fiction”, meaning it’s grounded in actual science. She’s a stickler for that. I was also looking for a line that would contrast with Sue’s little-old-lady physicality. Thanks for your thoughtful feedback!

About Me

Dan Lewis

Photographer/ Personal Brand Consultant

Media