• Profile picture of Brenda Uekert

Brenda Uekert

10 months, 3 weeks ago

I had to write an Origin Story for my speaker profile. I’m sharing it below. This is more than sufficient for my purposes, and I have no intention of lengthening my story using this month’s template. So I’ll be bowing out of the remainder of this month’s sessions. . . Have fun!

Have you ever felt like you were running on fumes, but didn’t realize it until it was too late? That’s exactly how I felt when my career suddenly ended. It was a wake-up call that forced me to explore new paths. I’d spent my early 30s climbing out of poverty and in the aftermath, had become a money nerd. So, it seemed a natural fit to pivot to financial coaching and help others build financial freedom.

But it wasn’t long before I found myself back where I started, on the brink of burnout. After 18 months of working from home, I was running on empty. I was helping others reach their goals while my own life was miserable and stagnant.

I knew I had to make some drastic changes. As someone who loved to travel and seek adventure, I knew that the Internet gave me the flexibility to work from anywhere. So in 2020, I hit the road in an RV with my three lovely cats, and have been journeying across the US ever since.

I can’t even begin to describe the joy and simplicity I’ve found on the road. I’ve rebuilt my life and work in a way that allows for freedom and flexibility. And, in 2023, I returned to public speaking, spreading the message of living our best lives and simplifying where possible. Check my availability to see how we can work together.

See it at

About

Profile PhotoProfile Photo liked this
    2 Comments
    • This works well for your website and social posts. I do think it lacks emotion. The only emotion is the burnout.
      You mention Joy and simplicity of being on the road, but you haven’t painted a true picture of what that looks like. You are just telling me, which makes it impossible for me to actually see. That last sentence needs more, otherwise you are just like every other motivational speaker who talks about burnout.

• I like all the travel and adventure language (running on fumes/empty, climb, brink, etc.) I agree with Amy about wanting more details on the sunny side of things.

The second paragraph of your post (starting with “But”) might read “But after 18 months of working from home, I was running on empty. I found myself back where I started, on the brink of burnout.” The transition works better for me this way and it’s a little less wordy.

Instead of “I can’t even begin to describe the joy and simplicity I’ve found on the road,” you might explore ways to give examples–two or three concrete details that typify said joy and simplicity, flexibility and freedom. Such as, “The joy and simplicity I’ve found making tea out of roadside chamomile and camping along the Grand Canyon…”

…although I’m fairly sure roadside chamomile wouldn’t meet USDA Organic Standards and you probably shouldn’t make tea with it but you get the idea.

Media

Friends

Profile Photo
Annette Presley
@annettepresleyhotmail-com
Profile Photo
JulianneMiller, AFC®
@juliannelifemoneymanagement-com
Profile Photo
AmyHager
@amymshannonhernandez-com