• Profile picture of Dan Lewis

Dan Lewis

8 months, 1 week ago

Hooks
    Van Gogh’s Electrified Face Stopped Me Cold
    Has a work of art ever stopped you dead in your tracks?
    Have you ever been surprised by joy?
    Ever been blind-sided by a work of art?
    Ever been mugged by a painting?
    Vincent Van Gogh mugged me in broad daylight.
    Dare to be vivid.

Van Gogh’s Electrified Face
    The first painting of the Van Gogh exhibition stoped me cold like an electric fence throbbing with voltage. His electrified face was charged, vibrating, buzzing with luminous energy. Each whisker of his signature red beard was a neon street lamp. His pale skin was illuminated from within.

I was at the Art Institute for the last weekend of “Van Gogh and the Avant Garde: The Modern Landscape.” Between 1882 and 1890 a small group of avant garde painters flocked to the northwest suburbs of Paris to paint a changing landscape of Paris’ industrializing northwest suburbs. This area along the Seine River had long been a popular spot for recreation and relaxation but was becoming increasingly populated with coal, gas, and manufacturing facilities in the last decades of the 19th century. And while its industrial development was an unappealing development to many, these artists found in the changing physical and social landscape a fresh and rich source of creativity.

I’d seen plenty of examples of Van Gogh’s self portraits before – mostly in art books, and a couple at the museum. And I’m pretty sure I’d seen this particular painting before.

But today someone turned on the juice of this electric epiphany!

I stopped and stared.

Angled for a better view.

Backed away to take in a broader view.

Got up close and studied details.

Took a picture. (see attached)

And the whole time this, this *presence* held me fast. It’s no wonder art and religion are often closely linked.

Eventually the vision dimmed enough for me to proceed into the galleries of the exhibition itself. I happened upon an obviously knowledgeable woman leading a tour. (Turned out she was the actual curator of the exhibit!) I’m a sucker for expertise, so I tagged along for the tour and learned so much about what these avant garde artists were up to.

They played with unexpected oppositions in their paintings — like recreational / industrial, factory / field, city / country, manufactured / natural.

And they experimented with applying small strokes or dots of color to a surface so that from a distance they visually blend together. Instead of the painter blending the colors on the canvas, your eye and brain do the blending. But the experience of viewing the painting is somehow different.

It’s more *vivid* and energized.

Applying these techniques Van Gogh’s face became its own kind of rich, landscape.

So much of my life has been about learning to see what I couldn’t see before.

I’m seeing faces a little differently today.

CTA: Schedule a consultation today!

Profile PhotoProfile Photo liked this
    5 Comments
    • Looking for feedback. Does the feeling come across? Too long?

• @danbadassity-com – these are my two favorite hooks – way to brainstorm MANY and get the ideas flowing: Ever been mugged by a painting?
      Vincent Van Gogh mugged me in broad daylight.

• @danbadassity-com – as far as the content goes, I loved the entire thing – minus the 2nd paragraph- I actually got lost there, and probably would have not kept reading. But if you take that out, I think it still flows very well and gets the point across. I also wan tot share that there is a way to transiton to the CTA that will really tie it all together. I’ve tried to demonstrate it here using your biz focus, but of course, you can fineness it: So much of my life has been about learning to see what I couldn’t see before.

I’m seeing faces a little differently today. And this experience is going to help me take even more vivid brand photographs of my clients–and I can’t wait to pick up my camera again.

CTA: Schedule a consultation today!

• Thanks, Shannon!

• Posted this revision on LinkedIn today:

Ever been mugged by a work of art?

A couple of weeks ago I went to Chicago’s Art Institute to take in a Van Gogh exhibition. The first painting, a self-portrait, stopped me cold and just wouldn’t let me pass.

Van Gogh’s face was charged, vibrating, buzzing with luminous energy. Each whisker of his signature red beard was a neon street lamp. His pale skin was illuminated from within.

I’d seen plenty of examples of Van Gogh’s self portraits before – mostly in art books, and a couple at the museum. And I’m pretty sure I’d seen this particular painting before.

But today someone turned on the juice of this electric epiphany!

I stopped and stared.

Tried to move on, but he wouldn’t let me pass.

I angled for a different view.

Backed away to take in a broader view.

Got up close and studied details.

Took a picture.

And the whole time this, this *presence* held me fast. (It’s no wonder art and religion are often closely linked.)

Eventually the vision released its hold enough for me to proceed into the galleries of the exhibition itself. I happened upon an obviously knowledgeable woman leading a tour. (Turned out she was the actual curator of the exhibit!) I’m a sucker for expertise, so I tagged along for the tour and learned so much about what Van Gogh was up to.

He played with unexpected oppositions in their paintings — like recreational / industrial, factory / field, city / country, manufactured / natural.

And he experimented with applying small strokes or dots of color to a surface so that from a distance they visually blend together. Instead of the painter blending the colors on the canvas, your eye and brain do the blending. But the experience of viewing the painting is somehow different.

It vibrates. It’s more *vivid* and energized.

So much of my life has been about learning to see what I didn’t have eyes to see before.

Today Van Gogh mugged me and left me a gift of new seeing.

Are you a coach, consultant or transformational leader committed to being boldly visible in service of sharing your gifts with your right-fit clients?
          Schedule a consultation today:
          https://calendly.com/badassity/consultation

About Me

Dan Lewis

Photographer/ Personal Brand Consultant

Media