• Profile picture of Dan Lewis

Dan Lewis

5 months, 1 week ago

Value Messaging
    Wrote up a draft new client story. These client stories are intended to:
    – demonstrate my expertise and 3-step process (define brand needs / design photo concept and expression / capture essence in the photo shoot)
    – draw potential clients into imagining what this discovery and expression process might look like for themselves
    – promote the client themself, which is an incentive for clients to share their story with their network
    – showcase the photography itself, with context

Client Story: Roxanne Hori

Roxanne Hori is an executive and career coach with decades of wisdom and experience in developing leaders – both in academia and in the business world. Referred by my client Eric Fridman, Roxanne came to me recently wanting new personal brand images that would reflect her focus on executive coaching at this stage of her career.

She wrote, “I need to clarify my brand or rebrand. I’m looking to strengthen my brand as an executive coach. Because so much of my career has been spent leading an MBA career center and coaching MBA students on job search and decisions, I’m seen by many as an expert on career coaching (which I am).

“I also have a lot o leadership experience and have worked with leaders to help them get better at what they do. This work gives me a lot of energy. I’d like to figure out how to get that message across more effectively without giving up on the career coaching front.”

Roxanne described her ideal client as mid-career to senior level executives who are thoughtful, self-reflective, and open with a good sense of humor. “My favorite clients are willing to do the deep dive into their motivations, values, strengths and opportunities for self-development. They are willing to work hard to be a better leader, have an impact on their organization or to find their next role.”

As we solicited reflections from Roxanne’s clients, the words trust, grounded and listener kept emerging. On our calls together she shows up as this rock-solid, grounding presence who genuinely cares.

THAT’S what we wanted to be sure to express in her photos.

I knew immediately I wanted to place Roxanne in a context of stone for its solidity and stability. I found a local gothic-style stone church courtyard with classic open archways. (Notice how the gentle arc of the window ridges subtly softens any harsh edges. And how the tangled chaos of vines in the background contrasts with the dependability of the stone.) And the light here is stunning.

Roxanne has an exquisite sense of style and picked a vivid blue jacket with a hip cut that works so well with her blue glasses.

There’s another contrast at work here as well: a traditional setting paired with a contemporary wardrobe. Compelling, distinctive photography is the result of just this kind of vivid contrast.

Rosanne was a powerful presence at our photo shoot one glorious October morning. Badassity ensued, and the result is an arresting expression of Roxanne’s wisdom, solidity, and trustworthiness.

Own your Badassity!

Profile PhotoProfile PhotoProfile Photo liked this
    5 Comments
    • Wow @danbadassity-com I LOVE this for so many reasons. We will get a visual with the story, we get the process you use – from the questions you ask AND then we get your insight as an expert about the elements of the photograph. I LOVE THIS. I might would ask a quesiton at the end that would engage people to comment/hit reply in email that would lead them to open up the conversation with you about what qualities they would want “shown” in an updated photo?

• @danbadassity-com also – can you please uploadd your picture to your profile so we see YOU?

• Went right to your website to see the photo. Awesome, Dan!

• I love how you wrote about what she wanted and then connected it to your outcome and how you met her needs and communicated her message through the picture. example-the stone church courtyard for its solidity and stability. great job!

• Thank you so much, Allison! For me the question is always, what does this photograph need to express / communicate? That drives everything else. Appreciate your feedback!

About Me

Dan Lewis

Photographer/ Personal Brand Consultant

Media